Sunday, April 6, 2014

Kishaz Reading Corner: The Shadow Prince by Stacey O'neale


Disclaimer: I received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.

About the Book


Sixteen-year-old Rowan has spent most of his life living among the mortals—learning to control the element of fire, impatiently awaiting the day his vengeful mother, Queen Prisma, will abdicate her throne. When he finally returns to Avalon for his coronation, his mother insists he must first prove his loyalty to the court by completing a secret mission:

Kill Kalin, the half-human, half-elemental daughter of the air court king.

Willing to do anything to remove his mother from power, he agrees to sacrifice the halfling. He returns to the mortal world with his best friend, Marcus, determined to kill the princess. But as he devises a plan, he starts to question whether or not he's capable of completing such a heinous task. And what price he will pay if he refuses?

Buy the Book


Here's what I'm giving it:

Rating:  3 stars

Here's why:

This book is a novella and a prequel to O'Neale's Mortal Enchantment series. So those that get this that are looking for a novel-length read need remember this is shorter and the end is a somewhat of a cliffhanger. This was an easy read and I finished it in one sitting.

Overall, the pacing for the novella was decent and didn't feel too rushed. The world building and descriptions of the various places was detailed just enough to give great visuals without being too drawn out and annoying. I think my biggest problem were the characters. I know this is a novella, but the characters, even the main one, Rowan, felt flat to me. I had trouble relating to them or their plight.

I think the only time I really reacted to what was happening to Rowan and his best friend came near the end of the story and it was more that I was shocked by the circumstances that lead to a very brutal scene. 

Rowan's attempts at being a "bad" boy came across as small child wanting attention and failing miserably at that. I don't mind whiny characters because they serve their purpose (and not that Rowan was "whiny"), but if you're going to give me a sob story on why you have to act bad, then that turns me off.

Would I recommend this book to others? Yes, I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment