Saturday, July 11, 2015

Free ebooks Review: Death Wish by Megan Tatye



Disclaimer: I received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.


About the Book


Book #1 in The Ceruleans series

IN SEARCH OF THE MEANING OF DEATH, SHE’LL FIND THE MEANING OF LIFE. 

The Ceruleans: mere mortals infused with power over life and death. Five books; one question: If the might of the heavens were in your hands, would you be sinner or saint?

Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Blake is haunted by death. Her estranged sister has made the ultimate dramatic exit. Running away from school, joining a surfing fraternity, partying hard: that sounds like Sienna. But suicide? It makes no sense.

Following in her sister’s footsteps, Scarlett comes to an isolated English cove with grand plans to uncover the truth. Alone. But she hasn’t reckoned on meeting two boys who are determined to help her. Luke: the blue-eyed surfer who’ll see the real Scarlett, who’ll challenge her, who’ll save her. And Jude: the elusive drifter with a knack for turning up whenever Scarlett’s in need.

As Scarlett’s quest for the truth unravels, so too does her grip on reality as she’s always known it. Because there’s something strange going on in this little cove. A dead magpie circles the skies. A dead deer watches from the undergrowth. Hands glow with light. Warmth. Power.

What transpires is a summer of discovery. Of what it means to conquer fear. To fall in love. To choose life. To choose death.

To believe the impossible. 

Buy the Book



Here's what I'm giving it:

Rating: 2.5 stars

Here's why:

The reason I chose this read was because of the blurb. It looked like it would be a good paranormal read while addressing the issue of suicide. I made it to chapter 6 (around 10% according to my Kindle) and then I stopped. I tried to get into this one, I really did, but I couldn't get behind the main character.

She drove me crazy and not in a good way. I know that everyone grieves differently when a loved one dies. But if you're trying to solve the why, you don't go and do the same things half-baked and expect to get answers.

This story is also first-person point-of-view which I always have a love/hate relationship when it comes to stories written in that fashion. You either get it right, halfway right or it goes wrong. I felt that this one was a halfway type of reading. Yes, I was initially interested in her thoughts and feelings but it quickly went downhill and I lost interest in her inner turmoil.

Would I recommend this book? I'm on the fence. I personally didn't like it. Doesn't mean you won't. Choose at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment