Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Kishaz Reading Corner: A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette & Elizabeth Bear

About the Book

A Companion to Wolves is the story of a young nobleman, Isolfr, who is chosen to become a wolfcarl -- a warrior who is bonded to a fighting wolf. Isolfr is deeply drawn to the wolves, and though as his father's heir he can refuse the call, he chooses to go.

The people of this wintry land depend on the wolfcarls to protect them from the threat of trolls and wyverns, though the supernatural creatures have not come in force for many years. Men are growing too confident. The wolfhealls are small, and the lords give them less respect than in former years. But the winter of Isolfr's bonding, the trolls come down from the north in far greater numbers than before, and the holding's complaisance gives way to terror in the dark.

Isolfr, now bonded to a queen wolf, Viradechtis, must learn where his honor lies, and discover the lengths to which he will to go when it, and love for his wolf, drive him.


Buy the Book


Here's what I'm giving it:

Rating: 4.5 stars

Here's why:

Disclaimer: I got this book from the public library and have received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.

I want to first say that this book was nothing like what I thought it was going to be and then turned out to be more in some areas.

I know, I'm talking in circles but this book threw me for loops at every turn. I do want to say up front that if you are against m/m pairings or anything related to m/m romantic elements, you might not like this book.

With that being said, the writing by both authors was a work of art. Once I started reading, I very reluctantly put it down (and that's only because I need to sleep) but quickly resumed reading the next day.

Watching Isolfr grow up and navigate his new life as well as the adventure/battle aspect of the plot was worthwhile. I can't really say more because I'm afraid of giving out spoilers.

I will be reading the next book in this series because I'm interested in the world that these two authors have created.


Would I recommend this? Only for those not squeamish about certain topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment