Monday, January 6, 2014

Kisha's Reading Corner: Mortal Instruments series (Books 1-3)


Disclaimer: I received no compensation from the author or publisher for these honest reviews.


About the Book: City of Bones (#1)

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .


Buy the Book


Here's what I'm giving it:

Rating: 4 stars

Here's why:

I re-read this book recently after seeing the movie adaptation which reminded me why I liked this book when it first came out several years ago. I finished it in record pace and went immediately into book 2.

Would I recommend this book to others? Yes.




About the Book: City of Ashes (#2)


Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

Buy the Book


Here's what I'm giving it:

Rating: 4 stars

Here's why:

I'm in the middle of doing a binge read of the Mortal Instrument books. When the first book, City of Bones, first came out I read it but was never able to get into the rest of the books. Now, a few years later, thanks to the recent film, I found myself deciding to give the series another try.

I am now invested and enjoying the series. I'm getting ready to start book #3.

I'm going to keep this review short but I will say that the pacing, character development, world building, conflict and plot have firmly hooked me and I have no complaints as of yet.

Now, on to book #3.

Would I recommend this book to others? Yes.




About the Book: City of Glass (#3)


To save her mother’s life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters—never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family’s past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he’s willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City—whatever the cost?

Buy the Book


Here's what I'm giving it:

Rating: 3 stars

Here's why:

Some of this story was infuriating as well as confusing. There was plenty of action, angst, romance, death and conspiracy. My favorite writing cocktail.

There's not much to say that hasn't been mentioned in other reviews but I will say that despite the fact the whining of the hero and heroine drove me batty, I still enjoy this series and will continue on to book #4.

Would I recommend this book to others? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment