Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Kishaz Reading Corner: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson


Disclaimer: I received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.

About the Book


Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.

But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his will.

Nobody fights the Epics . . . nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart—the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.

Buy the Book


Here's what I'm giving it:

Rating: 5 stars

Here's why:

I've been reading quite a lot lately and giving everything from 2 stars to 4 stars for the books that have crossed my path. It's very hard for me to give out 5 stars because there's always something that is a deal breaker for me when I'm reading. I did not have that problem with Steelheart.

I want to point out before I get going on my review that this is a YA novel. I noticed that when I saw other reviews that many were complaining about the style of writing. Sanderson's style is consistent and similar to other YA writers and stories. I just wanted to throw that out there so that other potential readers understand this.

It was the super powered human angle that hooked me. I love comic books and superheroes. This story made me think of X-men and how you have mutants that either want to get along with humanity and use their powers for good or you have mutants who believe they are superior and don't mind running over and destroying humanity to achieve that dominance.

Now imagine that the latter type of mutant suddenly appeared on the scene. They are arrogant, powerful and have a decided lack of interest in getting along with anyone. What will you, a mere human be able to do?

The main character, David, is faced with that choice after watching one of those super powered beings (called Epics) kill someone he loves. David's obsession (I wouldn't call it tenacity because that's too tame a word to describe this young man's drive) with killing that Epic and getting revenge is the major plot driving the story.

The reader is also introduced to a group called The Reckoners who fight to liberate humanity from the Epics.

There is lots of action, adventure and a small romance. The dialogue in this novel is rather, unique, but not a deal breaker for me. I've known many a fellow nerd who was so socially awkward that every time we open our mouths to be witty or try to fit in, we insert our foot or don't make sense to the world at large.

Just saying.

I would recommend this book for guys and girls. It was a page turner til the end and I would reread it in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment