Thursday, November 28, 2013

Kishaz Reading Corner: Angel Fire by L.A. Weatherly


Disclaimer: I received no compensation from the author or publisher for this honest review.

About the Book


In the wake of the Second Wave, the angel menace has exploded, and Alex and Willow are on the lam. Willow’s prophetic dream points them to Mexico City, where they connect with a fledgling group of angel killers led by the exotically beautiful Kara, an Angel Killer from Alex’s past. But the team remains suspicious of Willow, even after the more-experienced Alex takes over as leader, training them hard for a rush attack on the Seraphic Council, or “The Twelve.” This elite group of all-powerful angels is also under the scrutiny of Willow’s angel-father, Raziel, who has his own sinister plan to defeat them. What Willow hasn’t told Alex is that there was also a mysterious boy in her dream, one she felt overpoweringly attracted to. When brooding, gorgeous Seb shows up in the flesh, he turns out to be another—possibly the world’s only other—half angel. He’s been searching for Willow all his life, and when Alex enlists this rival to help keep Willow safe, he can’t predict what chemistry will pass between them . . . or how far Willow might go to keep Alex safe. Will their love endure or spell doomsday for the human race?

Here's what I'm giving it:

Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Here's why:

When we ended the first book, Willow and Alex were on the run and heading south toward Mexico thanks to Willow's precognitive dream. What Willow doesn't tell Alex is that she sees a boy in her dream that feels oddly familiar to her. Oh, and that she is attracted to.

This bit of news sets up one of the major side plot lines that drives the story: the love triangle. And, I will admit, this was one of the better ones. Often times with love triangles, one of the two love interests comes off a little, well, flat. Weatherly did not have that problem with Seb, the only other half-angel in the world besides Willow.

The angst between Willow, Seb and Alex was realistic and had me pulling my hair out in places at people's stupidity. That's when I felt fully invested in the characters. Even minor characters had a richness of development that I haven't seen in a while.

In addition to the well done character development, the pacing, main plot and other side plots kept me happily reading for several hours until I finished the 700+ page novel.

I cannot wait to read the final book in the trio. I personally am rooting for Willow x Seb, but that's just me.

Would I recommend it to others? That would be a big "YES!" I'm eagerly awaiting the library getting the newest one.

No comments:

Post a Comment